Back On The Road As A Running Mom: I’m All In

MammaMia

If you told me 10 years ago that one day I would become an Adidas running ambassador when I’m 36, I would’ve thought you’re crazy. I was pregnant with my first baby then and in my mind once you have a baby you’d be pretty lucky just to be able to go to the gym twice a week.

Yes, I used to be part of a track team in my high school when my family lived in the US. We had a mean coach that made us run laps around the football field for a warm-up session and yelled at us for being too slow or ran out of breath too quickly. I ran 400m sprint and4x400 relay races for the team. But please bear in mind, I was 15-17 years old then and have that adolescent energy that kept me going. Ever since then I never ran longer than 3,5km let alone consider myself as a runner.

Birthdays have a way of stopping you in your track – forcing you to take a stock of your life and your future. When I turned 36 last year, I can’t believe I’m a mother of two handsome boys, Zoltan (9) and Navarro (almost 4). I still remember the day I gave birth to my eldest and thought what I did to deserve such a beautiful little creature. Zoltan now speaks his mind and grows up to be a very thoughtful kid. I also felt like I just gave birth to Navarro and already he’s turning four, bringing laughter inside our home with his playful behaviors.

I didn’t realize how much this birthday would affect me. I love each stage of motherhood. But this birthday has made me wish things would slow down a little. I don’t want time to move so quickly.

When I think about where the last 10 years have gone, I find myself starting to make a list of what I still want to accomplish on a personal level.

• I want to spend more time with my kids, stop spending long hours commuting to and from work.
  • I want to stay healthy for my kids and be there when they grow up.
  • I want to train for a challenging event and the list goes on and on.

So on 24 September 2012, I decided to give myself a gift. I want to run again. I remember I was out of town for work but had my training shoes with me. I decided to put them on and ran for as far as I could manage. I did about 3,5km that day if not less and I was already panting.

Luckily I have a husband that was already running, so I started running with him more regularly. And then he suggested that we both join running communities to find new routes and buddies to spice things up. From 3,5k to 10k, from road runs to trail runs. Before I knew it I was hooked!

We started joining adiNation of Runners (aNR) Indonesia late Dec 2012 when my husband asked me to tag along for another group run. We both clicked instantly with this group as it sets different routes every Sunday, making running more fun. It’s not a big community so they have a way of making you feel like you’re running with a bunch of close friends. Also, all the Adidas running ambassadors including Pasha Yudadibrata and HelenSusanto, were generous with their running tips and constantly encourage all runners in the group to push their limits.

I found that your running improves once you surround yourself with people that share the same passion. It sure works with me. I challenge myself in setting personal records, strengthening my core muscles, improving my running form. As a bonus I get to my ideal running weight in no time and my speed and endurance levels are improving.

This April 2013, adiNation of Runners dedicated a social media campaign for moms. And Pasha and Helen have kindly asked me to support this campaign along with the other Adidas running moms Novi Cheung, Juanita Dewiana, and Liana Tasno. I’m very thrilled to have been chosen for this campaign and the other girls are so inspiring making the whole process so much fun!

With this campaign, we want all moms to feel they can look and feel fit when they set their minds to it. It’s not impossible to set aside time for yourself to exercise while you juggle all the other things. When you make “keeping healthy” part of your life, you make time.

My 36 birthday was my wake-up call. I asked all the questions: what is it that you still want to accomplish? What are the challenges you want to overcome? What are the memories you want to create? Don’t you want to be healthy and see your children grow up?

As my birthday made clear – none of us are getting any younger.

17 Comments

1. siska.knoch
    Siska Knoch April 23, 2013 at 6:41 am

aw..aw.. mia kerennnn!!! itu perut rata bin six packs krena lari jugakah apa dari lahir udah gitu?? *kagum*
    Jadi tambah semangat lari, mengingat bulan ini banyak banget mbolos jadwal lari krena sibuk huhu.
    all the best buat mia dan campaignnya yaaaa!!

2. eka
    Eka Wulandari Gobel April 23, 2013 at 8:24 am

keren bangeet perutnya ooh.. :*
    sukses terus ya mama mia!

3. thearizkia
    thea rizkia April 23, 2013 at 8:41 am

aaahh…keren banget deh. pengen kayak mia *pecutdirisendiri*

4. YSee
    Yesi Yulia R./Wisesa April 23, 2013 at 9:01 am

Duuh mi..abis sembuh gw pengen lbh rajin lg larinya
    Yes i want healthy and see my children grow up

Sukses terus buat campaign nya ya mii :)

5. ninit
    ninit yunita April 23, 2013 at 9:15 am

great campaign mi!
    seneng deh liat mama2 sehat, fit, dan suka olahraga. selain buat diri sendiri juga tentunya biar kita bisa liat anak2 kita tumbuh berkembang ya.

thanks for the inspiring article mi. love it!

6. crey
    Chrisye Wenas April 23, 2013 at 9:38 am

well written article, miaa… dan mauu perut 6 packs kaya gitu :D :D
    jadi semangat lagi deh buat lari lebih konsisten secara dari awal tahun udah susah banget cari waktu buat lari -_-
    thanks for inspiring ya mi!
    sukses buat campaignnya dan adidas keren deh kepikiran campaign buat moms ;)

7. MammaMia
    Mia Kartina Salim April 23, 2013 at 11:40 am

Thank you girls! kalian semua baik bangett.
    We can do this moms!

8. sLesTa
    shinta lestari April 23, 2013 at 2:39 pm

kereeenn deh mia! you keep inspiring us. gara2 artikel pertama elo dulu, jadi whipping myself off the couch dan back to the gym and started running, walopun pause pas hamil anak kedua. abis itu jadi kayak habit, mesti berolahraga every day, at least every other day.. yang penting rutin.

yes, we can do this! mothers are amazing creatures.. and you have proved it! go go go mia!!

9. Davincka
    Jihan Davincka April 23, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Astaga, perutnya bikin galau. Itu karena lari doang atau ada exercise lain, Mama Mia? hehehehe.

10. nyanya
    almaviva landjanun April 23, 2013 at 4:41 pm

miaaaaa aku ngefans ahahaha. jangan bosen ya kalo gue bilang keren hihihi. apalagi sampe dipui SIgi :D banggaaaa pernah lari bareng mia. Miiii, mau perutnyaaaa! Oiya, PR gue gemukin body dulu ah tapi. Kemaren turun drastis nih. Huhuhu. Sukses buat campaign-nya ya, Mi. thanks for inspiring! :)

11. MammaMia
    Mia Kartina Salim April 23, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Thanks girls. And all of you inspire me too :))
    Shin.. gue pingin banget nih bisa half-marathon kayak loe sama Yustin. Soon, I shall conquer that quest! Semangaaat.

12. fanny
    Fanny Hartanti April 23, 2013 at 5:58 pm

mia keren! mau perutnya.. hahaha!!
    iya ya mi.. justru sejak py anak, motivasi gue untuk hidup sehat jauuuh lebih besar dibanding dulu jaman masih gadis.
    and i actually feel healthier, stronger, sexier now.
    berkat rajin ngobrol ama ibu2 sporty di TUM jadi makin semangat!! berpelukaaaan!!

13. ninit
    ninit yunita April 24, 2013 at 5:54 am

jihan,
    *jubir mia* mia juga rajin planking sehari 3 kali. itu juga yang bikin perutnya rataaaaa.

14. sLesTa
    shinta lestari April 24, 2013 at 10:27 am

mia, you can do it! pasti bisaaa.. apalagi nanti bakal lari KOTR di 5 negara, wuihhh.. HM mah tinggal nambah 5km lagi kok!

15. thalia
    thalia kamarga April 24, 2013 at 11:51 am

miaa! kereeeen! iya bener… setelah punya anak, jadi berasa pengen sehat dan njoy their company as long as we can.

16. ZataLigouw
    Zata Ligouw April 24, 2013 at 11:00 pm

keren…keren..and kerennnn *bingung mau komen apa lagi*. So inspiring!

17. gumzkiew
    gamma sinta rini April 25, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Miaaa..engkau idolakuh! Hahaha..udah bosen kali ya dibilang keren terus2an. Hebat deh! Salut bwt semangatnya. Sukses terus bwt campaign-nya.

Very inspiring!